Re: Call for seconds: DFSG violations in Lenny

On Mon, Oct 27 2008, Robert Millan wrote:

> Option 2 (allow Lenny to release with propietary firmware)
>
>    1. We affirm that our Priorities are our users and the free software
>       community (Social Contract #4);
>
>    2. We acknowledge that there is a lot of progress in the kernel firmware
>       issue; however, it is not yet finally sorted out;
>
>    3. We assure the community that there will be no regressions in the progress
>       made for freedom in the kernel distributed by Debian relative to the Etch
>       release in Lenny
>
>    4. We give priority to the timely release of Lenny over sorting every bit
>       out; for this reason, we will treat removal of sourceless firmware as a
>       best-effort process, and deliver firmware in udebs as long as it is
>       necessary for installation (like all udebs), and firmware included in
>       the kernel itself as part of Debian Lenny, as long as we are legally
>       allowed to do so, and the firmware is distributed upstream under a
>       license that complies with the DFSG.
>
> (Since this option overrides the SC, I believe it would require 3:1 majority)

        While I have seconded this proposal, how about a change in
 wording:

,----
|  1. We affirm that our Priorities are our users and the free software
|     community (Social Contract #4);
|
|  2. We acknowledge that there is a lot of progress in the kernel firmware
|     issue; most of the issues that were outstanding at the time of the
|     last stable release have been sorted out. However, new issues in the
|     kernel sources have cropped up fairly recently, and these new issues
|     have not yet been addressed.
|
|  3. We assure the community that there will be no regressions in the
|     progress made for freedom in the kernel distributed by Debian
|     relative to the Etch release in Lenny
|
|  4. We give priority  to the timely release of  Lenny over sorting every
|     bit  out; for  this  reason,  we will  treat  removal of  sourceless
|     firmware as a best-effort process,  and deliver firmware in udebs as
|     long  as it  is necessary  for  installation (like  all udebs),  and
|     firmware included in  the kernel itself as part  of Debian Lenny, as
|     long  as we  are  legally allowed  to  do so,  and  the firmware  is
|     distributed upstream under a license that complies with the DFSG.
`----

        The changes are just to item 2., which is expanded to explain a
 little more about the progress we actually made in the kernel, and also
 to explain these are new issues (not something we have been ignoring
 for years).

        I would like to propose this as a formal amendment to the
 proposal, and hope it would be acceptable to the proposer.

        manoj
--
"A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely
rearranging their prejudices."-- William James