Re: Final call for votes for the debian project leader election 2008

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 07:52:36 +0200, Luk Claes <luk@debian.org> said:

>> This I consider silly.  Thinking that the shorter voting period might
>> have influenced participation somehow skews the vote for the DPL?
>> Dow sending the CFV 24 minutes after the hour also skew the votes? Or
>> sending the CFV when the influence of mars is rising in the house of
>> Jupiter somehow tell people who to vote for?

> No, mentioning your opinion about the length of the vote in the call
> for votes can influence how people vote...

        Err, which way is it supposed to have influenced people?  I
 still can't figure that out. Does the time of day I post the CFV's also
 influence  the way people vote?

        If these people are so susceptible, is it really worth the
 energy to try to not influence them? Frankly, I doubt if anyone can,
 and we really should not bother.  If a decision unrelated to voting
 periods made by Debian is significantly influenced by people being
 influenced by the fact that the secretary thinks the voting period has
 been reduced too far, then the project is doomed anyway, in my opinion.

>>> In some institutes you would be fired as Secretary for doing that...
>>
>> Thank the Lord I do not belong to any such institute. On the other
>> hand, if you feel like firing me, feel free to proceed.

> I didn't think it was worth mentioning, though you acting as if it's a
> normal thing to do provoked me to make you aware of it...

        As far as I am concerned, it is the normal thing to do. All you
 have made me aware of is that there are some very weird people and
 institutions out there, but I already knew that.

        manoj
--
MAC user's dynamic debugging list evaluator?  Never heard of that.