Re: Technical committee resolution

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 13:21:52 -0400, Mike O'Connor <stew@vireo.org> said:

> On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 09:43:28AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 05:43:47 -0400, Mike O'Connor <stew@vireo.org>
>> said:
>>
>> > I saw multiple people suggesting such limits.  I did NOT see anyone
>> > propose a reason for such a limit other than you who seemed to be
>> > concluding that the reason for a limit was the speed at which
>> > people were performing their job.  I was just proposing an
>> > alternate reason to yours.  If the proposers of such limits had
>> > stated that they think it would aid in the speed at which things
>> > got done, they eluded me.
>>
>> That is not quite right. I have not presumed to know what reasons
>> other people might have had for limits, nor did I propose a rationale
>> for limits; I have merely expressed my opinion about one cause for
>> the deficiencies in the tech ctte's performance. I have suggested
>> that this cause (lack of time pr participation) has an observable
>> metric, and that metric could be used to aid decisions about the
>> composition of the cotte, rather than just setting some arbitrary
>> limits.

> well you clearly stated that you thought the proposal to limit the
> number of hats was silly "Because the number of hats does not seem to
> be a good predictor for performance..."  I was just trying to suggest
> this is not the only reason that one might want to suggest such a
> limit.  You seem to agree that my reason sounds valid, so I guess your
> previous reason for thinking it to be a silly proposal is no longer
> relevant, so we can drop it...

        You evidently have trouble reading what I said. I have never
 ever stated anything about speed, as you quote shows. And then,
 after misreading my stance, you proceed to knock down an  argument never
 made -- in logic, this is known as a strawman.

        When you are ready to talk without logical fallacies like
 strawpersons, get back to me.  At this point, this conversation id
 beginning to degenerate.

>> > Are you implying that my hypothetical shouldn't be advanced here?
>>
>> Having seen no concrete rationale, I have no idea whether your
>> hypothetical has any value or not. Did I not invite you tpo present
>> any supporting arguments?

> You did not.  You invited me to present a well thought out proposal
> that I was ready to defend publicly instead of just a hypothetical,
> which seemed to make me think that you didn't think I should be
> advancing any such hypothetical until I had such a proposal.  Which i
> don't have.  Sorry if I misinterpreted your intentions.

        Indeed. If you want to advance hypotheticals that are not meant
 to advance to a real proposal, I suggest you are wasting people's time.

        I thought you were talking about the proposal when you asked
 about presenting hypotheticals (as in, a specific, even if
 hypothetical, proposal), and whether it should be advanced here: my
 answer to that stands: if a proposition can be defended, feel free to
 propose it.

        If it is mere debating ploy, please take it over to curiosa.

        manoj

--
Children are unpredictable.  You never know what inconsistency they're
going to catch you in next. -- Franklin P. Jones