Re: Technical committee resolution

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 02:32:54 -0400, Mike O'Connor <stew@vireo.org> said:

> It seems to me however that there might be other valid reasons to
> limit the number of important hats one wears other than what effect it
> might have on ones performance.  As examples I think that it would be
> reasonable for people to think that having the same person that is
> deciding which packages can be allowed into debian also be a person
> that decides what pepole can become new members might be too much
> power for one person.  Or if you have one person in charge of the
> debian policy, in charge of conducting all votes and also serving on
> the team making technical deicistions it might be too much
> power. Regardless of the speed at which people in these kinds of
> positions may or may not be performing their jobs.

        Now that would be a valid argument, if you could defend it. But
 that was not was being done;  the sillyness resulted from putting
 arbitrary numbers and limits; what you are hypothesizing requires thought
 being put into the proposal, and taking into account the actual people,
 roles, and powers, and stating why that amalgamation of
 responsibilities  is something to be avoided.  Proposals about policy
 are things that require effort and thought; short circuiting the
 thought process and rushing in with limits just for the sake of limits
 leads us nowhere.

        Now, if you have such s proposal (rather than a hypothetical,
 and are prepared to defend that proposal in an open discussion, please
 advance it here.

        manoj
--
Deprive a mirror of its silver and even the Czar won't see his face.