Re: Technical committee resolution

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 11:19:35AM +0200, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> On ma, 2008-03-10 at 13:48 +1100, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > The idea is to encourage DPLs to appoint two new members during their
> > term, so we get new blood in the committee,
> Would it then be better to limit the term of tech-ctte members to, say,
> two years? Or three years?

Two years would mean four new TC members each year, which would be a lot
of churn; three years would be 2.7 members on average.

The other thing about that is our current membership is something like:

	Bdale (chair) - over six years
	Andi          - two years two months
	Ian           - ten years?
	Steve         - two years two months
	Manoj         - ten years?
	Anthony       - two years two months

A two year limit would completely refresh the tech-ctte; a three year
limit would refresh half of it now, the other half by the end of the year.

That'd also make the DPL likely to just reappoint existing members, which
would be a bad habit to get into.

> With the option that they may be
> re-appointed/elected/selected/whatever immediately, of course. This
> would force the consideration of new blood rather than making it
> dependent on the whim of the DPL.

I'd suspect having the ctte suddenly disappear would force the DPL to
reappoint the previous members immediately and lose the chance to spend
some time considering new blood; ymmv.

Cheers,
aj