Re: Questions to the candidates

On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 05:47:45AM +0100, Simon Richter wrote:
> The idea itself is not a bad one, however during the entire course of
> the experiment it was never questioned by the proponents that we should
> go through with it. Declaring it an experiment did not have the desired
> effect of magically creating a lab environment without connection to the
> outside world, so a bit of risk assessment would have been in order.

I agree with the assessment about declaring it an experiment. However, I
don't think it's fair to say that not even a *bit* of risk assessment was
done, because Anthony and others posted a lot to elaborate the 'pro'
position in the successive discussions, where he argued about the various
risks, too. Maybe those explanations were broken, or insufficient, or
off-topic, or evil, or whatever, but please explain that, don't just
dismiss them without a modicum of explanation.

I'm also not exactly comfortable with the idea that proponents not
questioning the execution of what they are proposing is a negative thing.
(Let's set aside the fact that the idea morphed along the way as it came
upon obstacles, implying that the proponents questioned at least some
aspects of the idea enough to change them.) My main point is - for people to
contemplate an idea, decide they want to do it, and then stick with the gist
of it until they succeed in implementing it - is such a thing really a
negative one? That would be too harsh IMO.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.