Re: Question to all candidates: officiousness

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007, Clint Adams wrote:
> Now it is unclear which hat AJ is wearing when he implies that he is
> authorized to decide which architectures are important, by criteria he
> decides unilaterally.  I am curious as to what the other candidates
> think: is it appropriate for him to do this, and, if so, which
> positions of authority or achievements have earned him the "moral" right
> to do so?

It's fairly clear, given the archive criteria page he quoted, that he's
doing so wearing his ftpmaster hat. What I wonder is if what he expressed
is mainly his own opinion, or if it's a point of view shared by the other
ftp-masters.

I do believe ftp-masters have their word to say concerning the inclusion
of a new architecture. However it should be limited to mostly technical
concerns (like SCC was) and some basic appreciation of the sustainability
of the given port.

It's difficult to understand why Anthony doesn't acknowledge the
tremendous work behind kfreebsd. He spoke last year of momentum, and I do
think that this project now needs to be included to gain even more
momentum.

Anyway, I can do a small parallel with how we handle Alioth. We're
providing space to host VCS repository and there are many VCS out there.
We started with the VCS that we're using ourselves (svn mainly) but then
people requested support for other VCS. We never implemented support
for a new VCS at the first request, we waited until we got several.
However when it became clear that this would be a service to several of
our users, then we did the required work usually by requesting the advice
of the users because they know the given VCS better than us.

Similarly, if several DD are working on kfreebsd, it's a good proof that
there are good reasons to create that. If there are no good technical
reasons to stand in their way, I don't see why we shouldn't help by
providing the infrastructure that they need and they are used to using.

I hope that makes it clear for you.

Raphaël Hertzog