Re: Questions to the candidates

Hello,

Ana Guerrero wrote:

Why do you think you will be a good DPL?

I see the role of the DPL mostly as a mediator; for that to work it is important to listen and to be able to put one's own opinion aside; both of which I think I can do.

What you can for Debian as DPL that you can not do as a mere DD?

During a large flamewar, the DPL hat can help the mediator to stand out from the crowd, so there is a good chance people will actually read the post.

What do you think of the current NM process?

I think it works.

The NM process has three basic roles: Making sure the applicant fulfills the formal, quantifiable requirements (those are the bits the AM checks), having them form a few direct relationships to other Debian members (which is achieved by having them find sponsors and an advocate), and integrating them with the rest of the community whom they do not have direct contact with (here the NM process needs to create a "common experience" so people can relate to each other). Giving vote privileges together with account creation completes the "initiation ritual".

I would object to trying to measure the efficency of the NM process in hard numbers, such as number of new DDs within a given time period or how long individual stages take, because neither of these can measure what is important: forming a group and keeping it together.

   Simon