Re: Questions to the candidates

On Sun, Feb 25, 2007 at 09:50:41AM +0100, Mike Hommey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> These questions may be skipped by AJ, because the answers are obvious.
>
> What do you think of the dunc-tank initiative ?

I have always thought there is nothing inherently wrong with paying
people to do Debian work. I applaud aj in trying to find a consensus in
this controversial issue, where I feel he went above and beyond his
usual standards in such matters.

Having said that, I do not feel the dunc-tank initiative was a very good
idea; and this was mainly because by creating a structure for sponsoring
Debian Developers, it is possible to create the impression that using
this structure would be the only ethical way to sponsor Debian
Developers; I think this is wrong.

> What do you think are the result of the "experiment" ?

In the first place, a lot of unneeded controversy that could rather
easily have been avoided. I think more discussion could have been
useful, but also that this would have taken a long time to do, which
would have been impossible given the initial timeframe.

Other than that, I do think it's useful to discuss with all parties
involved what their opinion on the whole subject is. This would include
not only supporters of the experiment, financial sponsors, and
sponsorees, but also opponents. Crucial in this whole debate, I think,
would be to avoid any mud-slinging.

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22