Re: Questions to the candidates

On Sun, Feb 25, 2007 at 09:50:41AM +0100, Mike Hommey wrote:
> These questions may be skipped by AJ, because the answers are obvious.

Hrm, I wonder if what's "obvious" matches what I actually think.

> What do you think of the dunc-tank initiative ?

I think people should be able to help Debian in whatever way they think
is a good idea, as long as they don't expect anyone else to help them. If
everyone in Debian but you thinks you're crazy, you should be able to
go outside Debian and prove them wrong, and Debian shouldn't have any
problem with that.

> What do you think are the result of the "experiment" ?

Mostly, I think it's still too early to say -- we haven't gotten etch out
yet, and we won't actually know for certain what's necessary for etch to
release until that's done.

Some results are easy though:

 1) raising money to support Debian activities people care about is
    possible in reasonable amounts

 2) it's difficult to pay people to work on core Debian things if
    you do it publically

 3) injecting a small amount of money by commercial scales is enough to
    make a big difference in Debian, whether for better or worse

Cheers,
aj