Re: Amendment to: reduce the length of DPL election process

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 16:12:15 +0100, MJ Ray <mjr@phonecoop.coop> said:

> This is an amendment to aj's proposal shown at
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2007/07/msg00178.html

> ==== AMENDMENT PROPOSAL ==== Summary: reduce the campaign-only period
> to one week.

> The change to paragraph four is replaced by:
>     4. For [-three weeks-] {+one week+} after that no more candidates
>        may be nominated; candidates should use this time for
>        campaigning [-(to make their identities-] and [-positions
>        known).-] {+discussion.+} If there are no candidates at the end
>        of the nomination period then the nomination period is extended
>        for [-three further weeks,-] {+an additional week,+} repeatedly
>        if necessary.
> ==== AMENDMENT PROPOSAL ====

> I ask for comments and/or seconds, or aj to accept this amendment.

> My rationale:

> The campaign-only period is the most annoying bit of DPL elections,
> but it escaped cuts in aj's proposal.  Why?  Let's cut it too!

> We could shorten the election process even more by removing it, but it
> looks useful for organising things to have some gap between
> nominations and voting, yet I don't see why we should keep it at three
> weeks instead of one.  If any candidate wants to campaign for longer,
> they should nominate as early as possible.

        This would probably mean that organizing the debate might have
 to go; since the time period for identifying the candidates,
 determining what time slots would work for them, the organizers, and
 the audience would shrink, to the point that it is unlikely that there
 would be any time for a post debate followup period to ask for
 clarifications and all.

        manoj
--
Clothes make the man.  Naked people have little or no influence on
society. Mark Twain