Re: Amendment to: reduce the length of DPL election process

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 16:12:15 +0100, MJ Ray <mjr@phonecoop.coop> said:
>
>         This would probably mean that organizing the debate might have
>  to go; since the time period for identifying the candidates,
>  determining what time slots would work for them, the organizers, and
>  the audience would shrink, to the point that it is unlikely that there
>  would be any time for a post debate followup period to ask for
>  clarifications and all.

Would it?  The organisers and most time slot limitations could be
identified before nominations close and the possibilities announced.
The organisers were already being identified before nominations closed
this year, after all:-

Organisers sought 15 Feb 2007 http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2007/02/msg00150.html
Nominations closed 25 Feb 2007 http://www.debian.org/vote/2007/vote_001

Asking before nominations open probably would get a more neutral panel
than now.  Candidates could be asked times as soon as they are
nominated, with a preference for an early debate.  The time this year
was decided about 5 days after nominations closed:-

Announced 2 Mar 2007 http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2007/03/msg00023.html

While we're shortening the election, maybe the debate could be cut
down from three hours, if it would make it simpler to organise. That
would also reduce the amount of material generated for voters to read.

Post-debate followup could still have nearly three weeks - as I was
rudely told this year, it was only convention that used to discourage
campaigning outside the campaign-only period, wasn't it?  That
convention seems to be ignored fairly often in recent years.

So, I don't see why the debate wouldn't still happen if wanted.  Would
Don Armstrong (lead organiser this year AIUI) like to post his opinion?

Regards,
Experienced webmaster-developers for hire http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
Also: statistician, sysadmin, online shop builder, workers co-op.