Re: The Debian Maintainers GR

> On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 10:36:46 +0200, Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt <he@ftwca.de> said:
>> (ii) Debian has a QA problem. Sponsorship did nothing to improve
>>      it. In fact, I believe sponsorship to be one of the reasons for
>>      it.
>         This seems like an issue for educating sponsors who are
>  sponsoring packages without ensuring the package meets the requisite
>  quality standards.  I have personally found that sponsoring a package
>  is, for me, an exercise that takes about two to three times the time I
>  would need to package the software myself, from scratch; but I think
>  this is far from the norm.

No, it sounds about right. Of course, updates are costing only a few
minutes because there is only a diff to check. It's actually in the
interest of sponsorees to have one sponsor per package, but somehow this
doesn't get advertised very often.

>         Perhaps putting together guidelines and processes for the
>  sponsor is something that we should look into?

As long as there is no way to enforce such guidelines, I don't believe
this would actually help. There already is the Debian Policy and the
Developers Reference, which should be enough to guide people through
sponsoring. The actual problem is that these people *don't* care enough
to follow these rules, as there is no real way to enforce them and they
*know* it.

Marc
--
BOFH #185:
system consumed all the paper for paging