Re: On the "Debian Maintainers" GR

Hi,

On Saturday 28 July 2007 13:20, Martin Schulze wrote:
> Andreas Barth wrote:
> > * Martin Schulze (joey@infodrom.org) [070728 11:37]:
> > > Didn't Skolelinux wish to prepare new contributors for NM and thus DD?
> > That's ok. Then, the right step would be that these people become DDs.
> They will.  After they have passed NM to which they are motivated.

After reading Andreas "first post" starting with "First of all...", I was
about to reply with what I think their motivations are. Now I find it a bit
amusing how you - who know them and Debian Edu even less than I do - are
guessing :)

So, out of these three: one is in NM, one still thinks he is not suited for
becoming a DD (where I think he is underestimating his skills) and the last
one, as the second, is simply too busy. They have time to contribute to
Debian Edu, but if they'd invest time in becoming DDs, they'd have less time
to contribute to Debian Edu.

Also, I dont think Debian Edu should _force_ it's contributors to become DDs.
Encourage yes, force no.

And yes, sure, one can contribute very well to Debian Edu with just commit
rights. (Currently one can even upload to our archive without being a DD, we
have a seperate keyring (and rules how to get in there) - but for lenny we
want to not use our archive any more.) But, I think it would also be helpful
(and rewarding, btw) if some contributors _could_ upload _some_ of our
packages to Debian, too.

regards,
	Holger