Re: Debian Maintainers GR Proposal, updated

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 09:38:34AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > On Wed, 27 Jun 2007, Fabian Fagerholm wrote:
> > > Perhaps the most proper way to make changes to the contributor classes
> > > would be to first amend the constitution, creating a new class, and only
> > > then issue a GR outlining how the practicalities will be handled (if
> > > needed). There is also an alternative to just creating a new class that
> > > is more general and, in my opinion, has other benefits:
> >
> > We definitely need to revamp the constitution, but it's certainly not a
> > pre-requesite to this proposal.
>
>   Eeeww that's a very quick assertion. I don't grok the cause and effect
> relation here.

Between what and what?

I simply mean: the Debian community is more than DD only and the
introduction of DM will only make that even clearer. So I agree that
the constitution needs to be reworked to give vote rights to all kinds of
(regular) contributors who share our ideals. While doing so, we'll have to
provide some guidance to our NM team which has not many experience on how
to handle translators, artists, etc.

This is definitely a broader change than fixing the constitution to take
into account the DM concept. I think it's a desirable change but as it's a
difficult task, it should follow the introduction of DM as it's always
easier to progress step by step (and changig the consitution is not
something that we should do every 3 months either).

> > On the contrary, I'd more happily revamp the constitution once we gained
> > some confidence that going in this direction was the right thing to do.
>
>   Revamp in which direction ? Adding castes ? Now _that_ would be an
> improvement… or maybe not.

That's another discussion and would deserve its own thread. I do believe
that we need:
- to empower people to do (technical) stuff as soon as they are capable of
  doing so
- to give voting rights to contributors once they have an history of
  regular contributions (not sure how to define that yet)
- grant rights according to the tasks that they are assuming
  (for example decorrelate accounts on machines and status in the
  community)

(If you reply to that part, please start a new thread)

Raphaël Hertzog