Re: Debian Maintainers GR Proposal, updated

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007, Fabian Fagerholm wrote:
> Perhaps the most proper way to make changes to the contributor classes
> would be to first amend the constitution, creating a new class, and only
> then issue a GR outlining how the practicalities will be handled (if
> needed). There is also an alternative to just creating a new class that
> is more general and, in my opinion, has other benefits:

We definitely need to revamp the constitution, but it's certainly not a
pre-requesite to this proposal.

On the contrary, I'd more happily revamp the constitution once we gained
some confidence that going in this direction was the right thing to do.

> I know a lot of people are excited about this DM proposal, and I would
> probably rank it over Further Discussion myself, since I think it has
> practical value and it's nice to see that there are people willing to
> work on an implementation. I also know that this proposal is supposed to
> be independent of NM, and I understand that the proposal may be all that
> can practically happen right now. But perhaps it would still be
> preferable for some to have another alternative on the ballot along the
> lines of what I've described above. Perhaps the people eager to
> implement DM would consider implementing this instead?

No, at least not for me. I'm eager to see some changes and going through a
constitutional change is not the right path to success IMO.

> Does anyone agree? If there is some agreement, perhaps we could draft an
> amendment?

I won't oppose changing the constitution however, and I'll happily help you
and share my comments with you if decide to start a draft.

But if we go that far, we must change it to fix the other issues of
membership of translators, artists, designers, etc. Associated to the new
constitution, we should then have some guidance for the NM team so that
they have an idea of how to handle the new "classes" of contributors.

I see DM as a first small step, and changing the consitution as the
following bigger step.

Raphaël Hertzog