Re: Debian Maintainers GR Proposal

On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 11:05:04AM +0200, Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:
> On Thursday 21 June 2007 19:22, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > The NM process is about making new DDs -- who participate fully in
> > the project, and understand and agree with its goals. Not every useful
> > contributor to Debian actually wants that status -- Matthew Garrett's one
> > example of a former DD who'd like to contribute to Debian without being
> > a DD, and this is a way of making that more effective. Likewise there are
> > plenty of people who'd like to make a small contribution to Debian without
> > having to obtain the level of knowledge and experience we expect of DDs.

> I'm not really convinced that we should adapt our processes to an existing DD
> who gives up his rights to upload, and then later would like to get upload
> rights again.

Not for the benefit of that developer, but for our benefit.  I have no fear
at all of Matthew Garrett doing an incompetent job of preparing packages;
why should we make it hard for *Debian* to take advantage of his

(Repeat this argument x times for all the NMs we currently have that are
already being trusted to prepare their own packages for sponsorship, with no
real review by the sponsors)