Re: Debian Maintainers GR Proposal

On Friday 22 June 2007 12:39, Kalle Kivimaa wrote:
> I personally do feel that there are two distinct parts. First, there
> is the Debian archive, which is governed by our Social Contract.
> Second, there is the social community, ie. mailing lists and IRC,
> which isn't part of the SC. Now, if I don't like the direction the
> social community is going, but still want to uphold the SC, should I
> be able to somehow retain my upload rights without being part of the
> social community?

I acknowledge and respect that a DD does not want to participate in
mailinglists and IRC. There's no requirement to do so. If you do not like
what happens on IRC, you are free to either join in and try to change it for
the better, or just ignore it. Both are fine with me.

When becoming a DD you're asked to underwrite Debian's goals and rules. Being
a Debian developer means that you indeed associate yourself with those goals,
but not necessarily with every aspect of Debian.

Since we do not ask new DD's to e.g. underwrite the mailinglist culture, I
also do not see it as necessary to discontinue being a DD when you do not
like that culture. As a matter of fact, I'd be offended if someone would
conclude that I underwrite e.g. flamewars because I'm a DD.

Of course your opinion on what being a DD entails may be different, but I'm
not inclined to support the proposal following this reasoning.

Thijs