Re: Proposal: GR to deal with effects of a personal dispute

Bart Martens <bartm@knars.be> wrote: [...]
> My point is that the Debian project has no responsibility in the
> mentioned personal dispute, so the Debian project should not apologise
> for not resolving that dispute in the name of all DD's. [...]

I disagree strongly with that.  The project as a whole has some
responsibility for letting this continue in this way.  At this point,
I feel that even an earlier bad solution that seriously harmed
debian's PPC support and Sven Luther's other work would have been less
damaging.  We could all have had about a year of rebuilding already.
(Of course, a good solution now would still be better.)

Any resolution is issued by the project as a whole, not all DDs.  When
it goes to a vote, each DD's support or opposition will be recorded.
That is why I feel position statements like an apology should be
issued by GR, not by delegates ignoring divisions.

If enough people object only to its inclusion, put an amendment
removing it on the ballot.  I think it's healthy to apologise to our
users for this, but I'd still rather we acted now even if we don't
apologise, so I'd vote a non-apology action above FD.

Regards,
--
MJR/slef