Re: Questions to the candidates

MJ Ray wrote:
> Aigars Mahinovs <aigarius@debian.org> wrote:
>> * from the negative side we can see that Debian does not like money. In
>> particular two things come to mind - Debian as a project should not pay
>> people (any payments must be totally separate from Debian) and Debian
>> does not necessary trust the paid developers (which was less of a
>> concern this time).
>
> QUESTION 1:
>
> Some DDs expressed those views and some candidates seem to be interpreting
> this as a general debian money-hate or business-hate.   What evidence
> is there that such views are either common or insurmountable?

"hate" might be a strong word. Most people in Debian might not care if
Debian pays some of its developers, but it is clear that some Debian
developers care about it strongly and have significant fears,
reservations and concerns about money collection, distribution and
evaluation as well as potential segregation of the developer community
on the issue. I have so far not seen a strong reason why such plans must
be carried out inside Debian, but have seen much loud reservations
against it. From this I might oversimplify and say that Debian "hates"
to deal with money as it is a significant hassle with no real benefit
(as opposed to some other organisation handling the process). The
infrastructure money is in such case a necessary evil and it would be
better if such could be avoided (by hardware and bandwidth donations).

Again, in an oversimplification, that is nevertheless useful to get a
point across, IMHO Debian loves money and business as long as these
things do not interfere with the Debian project.

> QUESTION 2:
>
> I also think that the whole 'hats' concept is flawed in at least two ways.
> (Help, I'm channelling LUGRadio...)
>
> So, I would like to ask all candidates: what sides of your personality
> will you try to show more or less if elected as DPL?

I will show more of a diplomatic side and less of a coding side. IMHO a
DPL during his term will be viewed as a DPL all the time, so the rest of
his hats should be put to rest for the term.

--
Best regards,
    Aigars Mahinovs        mailto:aigarius@debian.org