Re: Question to the candidates: inclusion of the kFreeBSD-* ports

Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> wrote:

> Personally, due to things like [0], I tend to think having different
> sources for different OSes is likely to make sense; which isn't something
> we can manage with the main archive as it stands.

I disagree here.

Building for different OSes from the same source will improve
portability and quality.

We have a long history of helping make free software more portable
accross architectures, let's just take it to the next step.

As for the number of developers, there are a couple more than is told
on the qualification page, although obviously not all of them are DDs
(but that can be fixed).

I think we'll attract even more people once kFreeBSD will be an
official port. Also, consider that kFreeBSD enthusiasts will probably
join some of the biggest maintenance teams to help out with kFreeBSD
issues, which will also benefit to the current Linux ports.

And I truly hope Sun will re-license OpenSolaris under the GPL so we
can have an official OpenSolaris port too.

JB.

--
 Julien BLACHE - Debian & GNU/Linux Developer - <jblache@debian.org>

 Public key available on <http://www.jblache.org> - KeyID: F5D6 5169