Re: Questions to the candidates

On Sun, Feb 25, 2007 at 11:23:53PM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 25, 2007 at 07:57:21AM +0200, Kalle Kivimaa wrote:
> > How do you feel about spending Debian monies into buying core
> > infrastructure support?
>
> If that is required and would help the project, then we should do it.

I initially misread this question as "do you think it would make sense
to buy hardware", which I don't see a problem in, hence my initial
response. After reading some follow-up mails in this mail, however, I
realize that's not what you're asking, so allow me to try again:

Most of the people who work on our core infrastructure are among the
best and most well-educated system administrators you will find. I don't
think it makes sense to pay "someone else" to do what they're doing.

I do not think that the way some of our core teams work is optimal; but
when I talked to one of them this weekend I was reinforced in the idea
that they are very well aware of this, and would welcome whatever would
make it easier for them to do their work for Debian in a way which is
more satisfying for everyone involved.

I'm not convinced that "money" is one of those things, however. Even if
I was and would consider it, we would also have to consider the fact
that system administration is a steady stream of work, as opposed to
Release Management which has high peaks in a freeze period (so it would
not make sense to pay them for just one month); and that Debian's funds
are also not unlimited.

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22