Re: [GR] DD should be allowed to perform binary-only uploads

On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 11:31:17AM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Hamish Moffatt:
>
> > Do you think it's likely that it can boot the kernel and run the build
> > environment without crashing, but produce broken binaries?
>
> We've got a few cases where emulated builds on amd64, sparc64 and
> s390x failed to produce working binaries for i386, sparc and s390.
> Usually, these are considered bugs in the affected packages.

And what exactly is this "emulation"?  It's just running the 32 bit
application on the 64 bit arch?

There are packages that have a problem if you run them on a 64 bit arch
will try to build things for a 64 bit arch.  This is mostly because they
process the output of uname, and they should be using dpkg-architecture
instead.

This can also be worked around by using "linux32" to change the output
of uname -m.

Kurt