Re: [GR] DD should be allowed to perform binary-only uploads

On Fri, Feb 09, 2007, Sam Hocevar wrote:
> >    But since this GR is about revoking some ftpmasters rights which
> >  should be exercized with judgment,
>    I think you got it backwards, it seems to me to be about reinstating
> some developers' rights.

 I am not sure you got my last two arguments, or you're distorting them
 here: I'm not discussing the current or best upload rights, I would
 certainly prefer it if everybody could upload arm binaries; what I'm
 pointing at is that this GR might completely revoke any right of the
 ftpmasters to block some uploads (for example by a particular person or
 at a particular time).  I am not sure removing all these rights was the
 point of the GR.
   I'm not even sure global revoking of uploads rights doesn't make
 sense in some occasions; for example imagine the ftpmasters want to
 reject all uploads during a major upgrade of dak, or when moving the
 archive's master, would they still be able to do so after this GR?  I
 would prefer the current wording to be changed if allowing such uses of
 ftpmasters' rights is desired.

 I am sure you did witness the ftp upload queue has been shutdown
 completely at multiple times and for various occasions.

> >  it sounds pointless to discuss what rights remain to them.
>    I could not agree more: discussion has shown to be pointless indeed,
> hence the GR. Or so I guess.

 So, a pointless discussion in response to a pointless discussion?  An
 eye for an eye...

--
Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org>