Re: DFSG4 and combined works

Anton Zinoviev <anton@lml.bas.bg> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 12:03:45PM +0000, Roger Leigh wrote:
>
> > In other situations, we might want to incorporate parts of the manual
> > into the source (for tooltips, help texts, usage examples, etc..).  We
> > certainly couldn't do that with a GFDL manual and GPL source.
>
> Yes, it is not possible to incorporate such parts directly into the
> source so indirect way has to be used.

I do wish the FSF would stop doing that.  They, as copyright owner, are
the only ones with the rights to merge their documentation into their
sources.  When something so basic can only be done by the copyright
holder, it smells non-free to me.

That's why I'm hoping that the MH-E manual will be dual-licensed under
both the GPL and GDFL instead of being licensed only under the GFDL.
Because we strive to have matching documentation in elisp docstrings and
the manual.

Peter