Re: DFSG4 and combined works

On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 12:03:45PM +0000, Roger Leigh wrote:

> You neglected to mention what happens about reference cards for
> documentation with invariant sections.  Reference cards for Emacs and
> GCC would be most useful, but AFAICT both of these manuals have
> invariant sections.

Yes, they are useful, but GFDL doesn't make them impossible.  You only
have to accompany the reference card with the invariant sections
printed on separate pages.

> >> Docstrings.  Useful!  Not prohibited by other free licenses!  Wow!
> >
> > I don't understand what you mean by "docstrings".
>
> Did you try google?  They are documentation inlined in the source
> code.  Some languages (e.g. Python (DocStrings), Perl (POD), Common
> Lisp) have native support for it; other languages (C, ObjC, C++, Java)
> have special tools to extract the documentation (gtk-doc, doc++,
> doxygen, javadoc).

Ok.

> If you want an example of it, grab a copy of
> https://alioth.debian.org/download.php/1437/schroot-0.2.2.tar.bz2, and
> look at the comments in schroot/*.h, then look at
> doc/schroot/html/index.html.
>
> Consider what happens if the documentation is extracted and
> incorporated into a manual with a GFDL licence, and the source is GPL.

We all know that GFDL is incompatible with GPL, but if the sorce was
covered by BSD-like license there is no problem - you can satisfy the
requirements of the BSD license by additional invariant section.

> In other situations, we might want to incorporate parts of the manual
> into the source (for tooltips, help texts, usage examples, etc..).  We
> certainly couldn't do that with a GFDL manual and GPL source.

Yes, it is not possible to incorporate such parts directly into the
source so indirect way has to be used.

Anton Zinoviev