Re: DFSG4 and combined works

On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 02:30:05PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> Anton Zinoviev <anton@lml.bas.bg> writes:
>
> > Returning back to the topic, we have the following situation:
> >
> >    1. The binary form of GDB would be covered under BSD license
>
> Wrong.  Because the binary would be including text from the manual, it
> would be covered under the GFDL too.

The binary doesn't have to include any text from the manual.  Notice
that what I proposed places all pieces taken from the manual inside
comments.

If you want your binary to use pieces from the manual for help
strings, then your binary has to read these pieces from auxiliary file
which would be (speaking in the terms of GFDL) an opaque copy and
would be covered under GFDL.

Anton Zinoviev