Re: Anton's amendment

On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 03:10:49PM +0200, Anton Zinoviev wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 12:43:35PM +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:

> > > The license of work 1 requires you to distribute the sources of the
> > > combined work in the form original_work_1+patch_for_work_1.  In the
> > > same time the sources of the combined work should be distributed in
> > > the form original_work_2+patch_for_work_2.

> > What license do you believe work 1 to be under? Most patch clauses do
> > nothing to forbid this.

> I didn't mean one specific license, but the requirement of DFSG:

>    The license may restrict source-code from being distributed in
>    modified form _only_ if the license allows the distribution of
>    "patch files" with the source code for the purpose of modifying the
>    program at build time.

> So the license may require the distribution as original_source+patch_file.

Do I understand correctly that you are now arguing that the interpretation
of the DFSG as *not* requiring permission to make arbitrary modifications by
arguing that some other hypothetical license that we've never seen and never
had an opportunity to decide on the freeness of as a community *also* passes
a strict literal reading of the DFSG?  How is this at all productive?

The pervailing sentiment on debian-legal (and, TTBOMK, among the ftp team)
is *not* "if there is at least one way the license passes the letter of the
DFSG, it must be ok for main", so I don't see how providing your own
interpretation of the DFSG that allows a hypothetical license Debian has
never considered to pass the patch clause really does anything to support
your thesis.