Re: {SPAM} Re: Anton's amendment

On Thu, 2 Feb 2006 22:16:49 +0000, Stephen Gran <sgran@debian.org> said:

> This one time, at band camp, Manoj Srivastava said:
>> On Thu, 2 Feb 2006 18:49:25 +0000, Stephen Gran <sgran@debian.org>
>> said:
>>
>> > Except that the GPL already explicitly precludes modifications of
>> > this type (not this scope, but this type, mind you), and our
>> > foundation documents consider the GPL a free license.
>>
>> I have been thinking about this (originally brought up by Russ). I
>> have also been re-reading the SC/DFSG, and the time they were
>> written. I also started with the idea that the SC/DFSG are to be
>> considered to be consistent, unless strong evidence exists to the
>> contrary.
>>
>> So, the DFSG are what they say they are -- guidelines. However,
>> some licenses were deemed by the project to be de-facto free, even
>> if they do contravene some of the guidelines, hence explicitly
>> naming the GPL and the bsd licenses. The naming them specifically
>> removes the requirement that they meet all the guidelines.

> That's an interesting interpretation, made even more strange by the
> fact that they are listed explicitly as examples of what we consider
> free, rather than exemptions.  It occurs to me that you may be
> trying to redefine what the DFSG means retroactively.

        Err, this is an attempt to see if the DFSG and SC are self
 consistent, not a defining official interpretation of the DFSG. And
 yes, they are examples of free licesnes, and by giving them as
 explicit examples of free licenses, we did two things: A, provide a
 standard set of licenses to compare others by, and B) ensure that no
 one ever tries to throw them out by mesuring them against the
 guidelines and coming up with a motion to render them non-free.

        Anyway, as it stands, I am left struggling with my discomfort
 with the "no not remove interactive copyright notices" bit of the
 GPL.

        manoj
--
Linux!  Guerrilla UNIX Development Venimus, Vidimus, Dolavimus. (By
mah@ka4ybr.com, Mark A. Horton KA4YBR)