Re: Anton's amendment

Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> writes:

> You can declare that same conditions should apply to programs and
> documentation; however, what Wesley is saying is that we do not
> apparently agree on what those conditions should actually be.

Yes.  So, what is the interpretation being seriously put forth?  That
we should allow licenses which restrict parts of a program to being
off-limits?  ("You may change gnugo in any way you like, except that
you may not make any changes which weaken its playing strength."?)
("You may change exim any way you like, except that you must not cause
it have any spam-filtering features not already present"?)  ("You may
change Gnu Emacs any way you like, as long as you don't change the
default keybindings"?)  We would not accept any of these.

So what *is* the interpretation, under which the modification
prohibitions of the GFDL are ok, and which similar modifications of
programs are not?

Thomas