Re: For those who care about the GR

On Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 05:10:14AM -0600, Peter Samuelson wrote:

> The problem is, if DFSG #5 and #6 mean what you think they mean, they
> effectively prevent _all_ license restrictions whatsoever.  Because if

DFSG 6 is only about license restrictions on usage. It does not cover
restriction on distributions,  modification, etc which are covered
in other sections. It says "from making use of the program".

> you are creative enough, for any restriction ZZZ, you can find _some_
> group of people _somewhere_, or _some_ field of endeavor, which you can
> tenuously link to _some_ reason ZZZ is a problem for them.  Though the
> chain of logic can get quite convoluted, as we see in the present case.

It seems you attempted a 'reductio at absurdum' but failed to state the
contradiction. You reached the conclusion that DFSG 5/6 prevent all
restrictions on usage. Why this conclusion leads to a contradiction ?

Cheers,
Bill.