Re: For those who care about the GR

On Sat, Jan 21, 2006 at 02:52:01PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

>         I am, at this point, unclear whether I hold GFDL licensed
>  works without invariant texts non-free as a matter of opinion, or of
>  fact.

Fact 1: The GFDL include this:

 "You may not use technical measures to obstruct or control the
  reading or further copying of the copies you make or distribute."

Fact 2: The DFSG include this:

6. No Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor

     The license must not restrict anyone from making use of the program in
     a specific field of endeavor. For example, it may not restrict the
     program from being used in a business, or from being used for genetic
     research.

Fact 3:

There exist fields of endeavours that require mandatory encryption.
For example, if you work in security-sensitive field, you can be
required to use a hard-drive with built-in encryption.  This technology
certainly control who can read the disk.  In that case, you cannot copy a
GFDL licensed document to your computer for reading it.

Fact 4: the GFDL is incompatible with DFSG 6.

Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.