Re: For those who care about the GR

On Mon, Jan 23, 2006 at 05:10:55PM -0600, Peter Samuelson wrote:

> [Bill Allombert]
> > >
> > > Exactly.  And neither does the GFDL ban people from using the
> > > documentation if they work in a security field.
> >
> > The GFDL does ban them: they are not allowed to copy the document on
> > their computer so they cannot read it.
>
> Don't be ridiculous.

Don't be rude, that weaken your point.

> Let me try another analogy, since you seem to be having a lot of
> trouble with this point.  There may be some fields of endeavor which
> require the use of Windows 2000, because most of the software they need
> only runs on Windows 2000.  This does not imply that all our software
> must build and run correctly on Windows 2000 in order to comply with
> DFSG 6.  And it doesn't mean that Debian as a whole violates DFSG 6 by
> not running that company's Windows applications.

The DFSG says 'the license must not restrict ...', it does not say 'the
program must not restrict ...'.

The GNU GPL e.g. does not forbid to run the software on Windows 2000.
Not running on Windows 2000 is due to a software limitation, not to a
license restriction.

On the other hand the aforementioned GFDL clause is clearly a license
restriction.

Cheers,
Bill.