Re: [Amendement firmware GR] - Best effort / no regression

On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 09:47:22PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> 4 does not seem to account for the fact that removing such firmware may mean
> having to choose between losing support for certain hardware in our
> installer, and releasing etch according to schedule.  Did you mean for 4 to
> say "remove as much non-free firmware as time allows without negatively
> impacting the installer", or something like that?

I did not.  Providing support for users that need non-free software is
generally done on a best-effort basis and this GR does not need to hammer
the point. I am quite open to wording improvement, though.

> Otherwise, per the recent
> polls, this doesn't seem to reflect the priorities of the Debian community?

Polls are like benchmarks: if you get to propose them, you get to choose
the result, so it is better to ignore them. We have proper voting
procedures instead.

I have personnally met a lot of Debian users, they were running from 1 to
50000 Debian systems and they were all vocal they were using Debian
because we are serious about what "Free software" means. We owe to them
not to lower our standard.

Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.