Re: Proposal - Defer discussion about SC and firmware until after the Etch release

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 20:39:35 -0700, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> said:

> On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 01:47:18AM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:

>> (c) Following the release of etch, the Debian Project Leader shall:
>> i.  ensure that the Debian community has a good understanding
>> of the technical and legal issues that prevent the Debian Free
>> Software Guidelines from being applied to logos and firmware in a
>> manner that meets the needs of our users; ii.  ensure that project
>> resources are made available to people working on addressing those
>> issues;
>                                                             ^^^ and
>> iii. keep the Debian community updated on progress achieved in
>> these areas.

        I am not sure that we can resovle what a future (and as yet
 unknown project leader shall do; people can only state that they plan
 on doing this work, or instituting a general resolution, or
 something, in any case, it does not belong in the ballot, but perhaps
 in an accompanying rationale/statement of intent.

>> (d) Following the release of etch, the Debian Project as a whole
>>     shall
>> reopen the question of which commitments should be codified in the
>> project's Social Contract.

        What I said earlier about future actions holds here.

>> This shall include both an online consultation with Debian
>> developers, users, Debian derivatives and the free software
>> community, and a public in-person discussion at DebConf 7 in
>> Edinburgh in honour of the 10th anniversary of the original
>> publication of the Social Contract on the 4th of July 1997.

       Also, how are you planning on having all 1001 developers at
 Edinburgh?  Or is this restricted to the fraction of developers who can
 afford to make it to Scotland?

> As a release manager, I am comfortable with this proposal as a
> solution that lets us proceed with etch according to the schedule.
> Even though it doesn't amend a foundation document, I do understand
> it as overriding one, so would likely expect a 3:1 majority
> requirement for it (i.e., if it passes with a lesser majority, I'm
> not sure I would take that as an endorsement by the project).

        manoj
--
Real joy comes not from ease or riches or from the praise of men, but
from doing something worthwhile.  -- Sir Wilfred Grenfell