Re: kernel firmwares: GR proposal

On 9/8/06, Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 05:08:28PM -0500, Bill Allombert wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 02:42:26PM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> > Perhaps we should start addressing the CD distributor problem (perhaps
> > tagging CD distributable software, and providing a simple mechanism to
> > pull only CD distributable software for
> > contrib/non-free).
>
> It will not work for firmware, be could be done for GFDL documentations:

Could you perhaps give us some insight as to why it will not work for
firmwares ?

I think he means that for firmware there are additional technical
hurdles.

As I understand it, currently the kernel incorporates the
firmware image in the kernel module that implements
the driver.

The reason for this is that these drivers are used at the
abstraction level where we are implementing file systems --
the file system generally does not exist until after they
are loaded.  [There are exceptions, of course -- ram disk,
for example.]

This often means that that firmware needs to be included
in the kernel source package, and that the module is built
at the same time as the rest of the kernel.

But note that I've not dealt with this in any detail, so I might
have some details wrong.

--
Raul