Re: kernel firmwares: GR proposal

On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 05:08:28PM -0500, Bill Allombert wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 02:42:26PM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> > What strikes me as ironic, with these proposals, is that we ran into
> > something like this problem back in the 90s, back during the initial
> > adoption of the DFSG, and we had to solve that problem then:
> > we created the non-free and contrib sections.
> >
> > For some reason, these sections are no longer seen as adequate.
> >
> > As I understand it, one aspect of the problem is that CD/DVD
> > distributors do not distribute these sections -- mostly because we
> > have not made it easy for them to do so legally.
> >
> > Perhaps we should start addressing the CD distributor problem (perhaps
> > tagging CD distributable software, and providing a simple mechanism to
> > pull only CD distributable software for
> > contrib/non-free).
>
> It will not work for firmware, be could be done for GFDL documentations:

Could you perhaps give us some insight as to why it will not work for
firmwares ?

> We could provided a simple mechanism to build a CD containing all the
> GFDL packages in non-free, which will then be only covered by the
> GFDL so it will be easy for CD distributors to decide whether they can/want
> to distribute it.

There are loads of other non-free-but-distributable packages out there,
including some non-GFDL documentation, and sourceless stuff, and other cases.

I suppose that the non-free unicorn ADSL modem driver would be very usefull to
have at installation time.

Friendly,

Sven Luther