Re: Firmware & Social Contract: GR proposal

Le mar 5 septembre 2006 09:44, Anthony Towns a écrit :
> Obviously each of those polls only includes a self-selected minority
> of the people they try to cover, but the results seem fairly
> consistent both with each other, and what's been discussed so far on
> this list.

  Those polls should never ever drive our choices. I've raised my
concerns with respect to those polls on -devel, and even asked you as
the DPL directly[1], mail that you swept away with disdain[2].

 1. I'm utterly frustrated with your ways. The mail on d-d-a could not
    have any other answer that "please release etch in time", that's
    something a perfect moron could have predicted without a doubt.

 2. Your proposal does not reflect what many of the DDs think, or have
    discussed until now, whatever you claim. Only Don's proposal /may/
    result into delaying etch (if the side GR that he would like to see,
    — meaning voting an "override" for etch — does not pass).

 3. As it has been pointed out already, you are doing your proposal
    supposing that people would have voted the same if the question
    would have been "don't delay etch, nor any future release about
    that" or any more clever formulation. That was not what has been
    asked. The polls were strictly about etch, and drawing a general
    conclusion looks like a grave abuse here to me.

 4. I know that many DD's had the same concerns about the potential
    politisations of those polls, or the risks to see them impact the
    GR, (or because they thought the issue was obvious) and didn't vote,
    and would refuse to.

  Hiding behind those partial polls is hideous, because it *looks*
legitimate.

  I strongly enjoin people not to second that proposal, and rather to
consider working from steve's proposal (either seconding it or
rephrasing the parts they don't like enough) that is in the spirit the
nearest proposal to that one.

 [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2006/08/msg01313.html
 [2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2006/08/msg01322.html
--