Re: Bits from the DPL: Freedom and etch

On Tue, Aug 29, 2006 at 12:39:03PM +0200, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
>   I'm very suprised by that mail that completely forgot to mention the
> ongoing discussions about a GR about firmwares. There is already three
> proposals for that GR[1] and I wonder why those have not been
> mentionned.

Err, but it did:

] One way or another we're going to have to make a decision on what
] approach to take fairly soon -- and general resolutions on how to square
] up the approach we take are already being discussed on the debian-vote
] list. [...]

...?

> The current amendments all have the
> corrolary that etch won't be delayed, either because an exception will
> be proposed (don's proposal)

TTBOMK, Don's proposal doesn't actually include that exception, just
mentions that it would be a possibility.

>   So question to the DPL: I really wonder why a formal announce of that
> unofficial poll has been made, instead of encouraging people to review
> the amendments that have been proposed, and even propose a new one if
> needed, so that that GR can come, and that we know where we are going
> instead of guessing.

There isn't a secret agenda here -- I'm planning on using the information
from those polls to work out what I'll focus on as far as the GRs are
concerned. Others probably will too, while still others will make up
their mind entirely on their own, or possibly already have.

Personally, I also think it's worthwhile having some announcements that
focus on what we've actually achieved, rather than the controversies
generated by the few things that are still on our TODO list. YMMV.

Cheers,
aj