Re: Proposal: The DFSG do not require source code for data, including firmware

On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 03:42:28PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 12:57:58PM -0600, Hubert Chan wrote:
> > On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 15:25:49 -0700, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> said:

> > > N.B., I would object to having any ballot options on the same GR that
> > > consist of this same draft with point #4 stricken, because assuming
> > > rational voters I would expect the voters who approve of that option
> > > to be a strict superset of those who approve of my proposal, and I
> > > would call on the Project Secretary to exercise his authority to keep
> > > these two proposals on separate ballots to avoid prejudicing the
> > > outcome in favor of a "watered down" option.

> > Maybe I don't quite understand your concern correctly, but isn't this
> > one of the advantages of using Condorcet?  i.e. if we had points [1-3]
> > on the same ballot as points [1-4], even though the number of votes for
> > [1-3] compared to NOTA would obviously be higher than the number of
> > votes for [1-4] compared to NOTA, the thing that would determine whether
> > [1-3] wins, or [1-4], would be the ranking between those two options
> > (assuming both win compared to NOTA).  So those who agree with point 4
> > should rank [1-4] higher than [1-3] (and those who don't would obviously
> > rank it lower).  Hence if more people agree with #4 than disagree with
> > it, then [1-4] should win over [1-3].

>  http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2003/10/msg00168.html

Sorry, let's get a more refined reference here; the thread following from
that particular post is long and scary, and mostly irrelevant to this
discussion.

 http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2003/11/msg00051.html
 http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2003/11/msg00066.html
 http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2003/11/msg00074.html