Re: Proposal: The DFSG do not require source code for data, including firmware

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 15:25:49 -0700, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> said:

[...]

> N.B., I would object to having any ballot options on the same GR that
> consist of this same draft with point #4 stricken, because assuming
> rational voters I would expect the voters who approve of that option
> to be a strict superset of those who approve of my proposal, and I
> would call on the Project Secretary to exercise his authority to keep
> these two proposals on separate ballots to avoid prejudicing the
> outcome in favor of a "watered down" option.

Hi Steve,

Maybe I don't quite understand your concern correctly, but isn't this
one of the advantages of using Condorcet?  i.e. if we had points [1-3]
on the same ballot as points [1-4], even though the number of votes for
[1-3] compared to NOTA would obviously be higher than the number of
votes for [1-4] compared to NOTA, the thing that would determine whether
[1-3] wins, or [1-4], would be the ranking between those two options
(assuming both win compared to NOTA).  So those who agree with point 4
should rank [1-4] higher than [1-3] (and those who don't would obviously
rank it lower).  Hence if more people agree with #4 than disagree with
it, then [1-4] should win over [1-3].

Or am I wrong in my understanding?

--
Hubert Chan - email & Jabber: hubert@uhoreg.ca - http://www.uhoreg.ca/