Re: Constitutional Amendment GR: Handling assets for the project

Adrian von Bidder <avbidder@fortytwo.ch>
> [... Debian auditor ...]
> I'm just wondering a bit if this all is a good idea. [...]
> don't really understand why this is immediately translated into building a
> bureaucracy around it. [...]

As I understand it, the oversight has been provided until now by the various
types of SPI members and they're watched over by bits of US government.  If
debian does encourage competition in donation handling, some of that regulation
should be moved into debian.  Otherwise, the least regulated donation handler
may appear to be the most efficient - right up to the point they collapse and
destroy any debian resources they hold.

Of course, the compromise between regulation and efficiency is a hard one to
strike.  An auditor seems a good idea, but auditing is governed by different
laws in different countries and the auditor will be auditing internationally.
Anyone know how other organisations handle this?

I know some groups that designate a particular corporation as the 'parent' but
if debian designates SPI as 'parent' then I think we're back where we started.

Hope that explains,
--
MJR/slef