Re: Question for the DPL Teams

Apologies for not getting to this in the campaign period; since I'm not
standing for DPL, I'm going to assume it's still kosher for me to answer
now.

On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 05:22:52PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:

> So this is for the members of the various DPL teams.

> (1) Did you join the (proposed) DPL team as an endorsement of the
> candidate or the team concept, or because it seemed the best opportunity
> for you to assist Debian in the event that candidate was elected?

I was asked by both Jeroen and Andreas to serve on their DPL team if
elected, and agreed because I think it's a worthwhile thing for me to do:
not necessarily because I think there needs to be a designated "DPL Team"
per se, but that in general I think making myself available to the DPL for
advice and assistance is worthwhile.  If called upon I certainly expect to
make myself available in this manner to whoever's elected, whether or not
they believe in a formal team structure.

As such, agreeing to participate in the DPL team is not intended as an
endorsement of any particular candidate.  I think that if developers like
the DPL Team idea and want to vote for a candidate for that reason, that's
great, but I think candidates should stand and fall on their own merits
rather than being propped up by the identity of their advisors.  For this
reason, I've consciously avoided being linked to the campaign process as
much as possible, both last year and this year.

> (2) Should one of the other candidates be elected, do you expect to
> contribute as much as you would if your DPL team won? If not, what
> contributions do you feel you wouldn't be in a position to make? What,
> if anything, could the other DPL candidates or the project in general
> do to encourage your contribution?

I think it's a fair bet that my involvement in Debian is going to be pretty
constant regardless of which candidate wins, seeing how I'm pretty much at
saturation...

For the most part, I think the contributions I would make within the context
of project political leadership would largely depend on how much the DPL
candidate in question chose to involve me.  F'rinstance, you and I chat a
fair deal on IRC about project matters, which I imagine would be likely to
continue if you were wearing the DPL mantle.

> (3) Will you all be going to debconf6 in Mexico, and can we therefore
> expect you to flip a coin to see who gets Steve and Raphael for an
> exciting game of five-a-side football or ultimate frisbee?

Yes, but only if Manoj referees.

> (4) When asked about why things didn't work last year, both Andreas [0]
> and Jeroen [1] seem to have mostly pointed to Branden not doing things
> that, if elected, they will. What, if anything, will you do this year
> as a member of a new DPL team to provide the new DPL with more support
> than Branden had?

Honestly, I don't think there's going to be much proactive difference on my
part.  If the DPL wishes to avail himself of me, then I'll be here; but I
think the role of "DPL team member" only has as much significance as the DPL
assigns it.

> (5) How would you rate the importance of your participation on the DPL
> team compared to your other roles in Debian?

Pretty low.  I made it clear last year that my participation was conditional
on the understanding that it was likely to be the first thing I'd cut if I
found myself overcommitted.