Re: Question to all candidates about the NM process

Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> writes:
> On Sat, Mar 04, 2006 at 01:06:37PM +0100, Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt wrote:
> 2. Asks for too broad knowledge
>
> It has been suggested several times over the years that we ask too
> many questions of NM candidates. People want to do work for Debian,
> but not everybody needs to know the gory details of library symbol
> versioning (for example) if their interests and skills lie in
> translation. So far, our organisation has been tailored for a group of
> package maintainers, _not_ translators or sysadmins or artists or ...

Actually, we have special NM templates for people who are interested in
working on documentation and translation.

But this leaves the problem if a translator or artist really needs to
have all rights a DDs has, including shells on Debian hosts, upload
permissions and other, potentially security-relevant stuff. Do we need
to hand out real accounts to people who don't need them, or should we
add new titles to allow them to identify with Debian ("Debian
Translator", for example)?

Marc
--
BOFH #51:
Cosmic ray particles crashed through the hard disk platter