Re: Question to all candidates about the NM process

On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 12:12:00AM +0100, Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt wrote:
> Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> writes:
> > On Sat, Mar 04, 2006 at 01:06:37PM +0100, Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt wrote:
> > 2. Asks for too broad knowledge
> >
> > It has been suggested several times over the years that we ask too
> > many questions of NM candidates. People want to do work for Debian,
> > but not everybody needs to know the gory details of library symbol
> > versioning (for example) if their interests and skills lie in
> > translation. So far, our organisation has been tailored for a group of
> > package maintainers, _not_ translators or sysadmins or artists or ...
>
> Actually, we have special NM templates for people who are interested in
> working on documentation and translation.
>
> But this leaves the problem if a translator or artist really needs to
> have all rights a DDs has, including shells on Debian hosts, upload
> permissions and other, potentially security-relevant stuff. Do we need
> to hand out real accounts to people who don't need them, or should we
> add new titles to allow them to identify with Debian ("Debian
> Translator", for example)?

And give them voting privileges, of course after they did some
significant work for Debian and proper ID and maybe P&P checks.

IMO we should separate the security relevant stuff that needs thorough
technical skills from the other DD privileges.

Gaudenz

--
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.
Try again. Fail again. Fail better.