Re: What if you are not elected as DPL?

On Sat, Mar 04, 2006 at 10:08:22AM +0100, Luk Claes wrote:
> Hi DPL candidates
>
> Would you also try to reach the goals mentioned in your platform if you
> wouldn't be elected DPL?

Yes. I'll possibly offer my services to the elected DPL to help
achieving the goals the elected DPL and myself share. Parts of my goals
I'll persue regardless of whether I'm elected, though most of the things
I mentioned in my platform, are most effectively persued with the
support of the project. Also, if elected, I will have reserved a minimum
amount of time each week for doing DPL-type stuff, and when not elected,
I'll still consider them important, but they'll have a harder time to
battle for my Debian time, and might instead work on other areas --
after all, there must've been a reason I wasn't elected, so perhaps
people were not as enthousiastic as I thought about seeing my goals
reached, or seeing them worked on 'my way'.

> Please be specific if you think one of your goals can't be reached or
> helped with without being a DPL or a member of the DPL team.

As I mentioned in my platform, I'm already doing a number of things to
achieve my goals already now. A code of conduct itself is however I
think best persued by a DPL or people more directly related to the
lists. I don't think I'll be going to put much time aside for getting
something like insider reports off the ground if not elected, that's
something for the elected DPL to pick up. Working on user accessiblity
will remain one of the areas I'm keeping working on, I will keep
forums.debian.net running etc.

For the rest, mediating is something I'll always want to help in, but
probably won't be asked to if not in a position to. Actively and
passively communicating with the media is also kind of a different thing
if you can say "I'm the Debian project leader" compared to "I'm one of
900 or so Developers".

So, in summary, I'll be able to do a lot less from my platform if I'm
not elected. Which is quite logical, because I've only put things I want
to persue *as DPL* in my platform. I'm not running for DPL to have a
vote on my other Debian work, I'll keep doing that regardless -- things
like QA, ftp-master team tasks, and of course packaging, and a load of
other misc things. I don't believe those are relevant for a DPL
election.

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar