Re: DPL reports [was: Re: Reflections about the questions for the candidates]

On Sun, Mar 05, 2006 at 07:59:34PM +0100, Enrico Zini wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 05, 2006 at 11:05:04AM -0500, Kevin B. McCarty wrote:
>
> Hi Kevin.
>
> > I'm not sure that I understand the reasons why the efforts couldn't be
> > reported, at least to debian-private.  Are they one or more of the
> > following, and if so, which?
>
> Among your categories, the ones that most apply are:
>
>  - Not wanting to offend or cause problems for specific Debian developers
>  - Not wanting to discuss efforts before they were likely to come to fruition
>
> in some cases, however, it went as far as "we had a hard time not to
> start yelling out insults ourselves, go figure if this hits -private".
>
> One of the big roles of the DPL seem to be to address that sort of
> communication that people for some reason aren't carrying out on their
> own, and that can't take place on a public (or semipublic) list because
> lots of people are frustrated about the issues involved and would make a
> somewhat hostile discussion environment.

The non disclousure of the things happening behind the scene probably
increases the frustration and sometimes leads to an even more hostile
disucssion environment. I would hope that disclosing at least some parts
of what the team is doing to solve "hot topics" (at least on -private)
would decrease frustration and prevent some flamewars on -devel.

At least saying something like "We are negotating on problem X with
person A and B" should be possible. You don't have to tell everybody
what the stance of the involved parties exacatly is if this would hinder
further negotiations. But like this "normal" developers at least know
that something is going on and that the problem will hopefully get
solved sometime sooner or later.

Gaudenz

--
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.