My position on a Code of Conduct (Re: Code of conduct, question to all candidates)

On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 10:20:59PM +0200, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
Do you think that strict rules would be better than general guidelines?

In my experience, strict rules, and even general guidelines are never
enforced evenly, but are used against unpopular people.  A just law is
one that is applied and enforced equally for everyone. I cannot endorse
practices that are unjust and oppressive.

I have confidence in Martin Schulze and James Troup.  Despite their
personality problems, I have never seen them act with partiality when
applying Debians current rules.   Despite the fact we are at polar
opposites on the political and religious spectrum, I have never been
concerned that they would treat me less than any other Debian Developer.
That is the gold standard we should aspire to, and which I try to copy
myself.

Although I am opposed to both strict rules and general guidelines, I
think the project runs better when people are at least aware of what
good manners are, and how to practice them.

Good manners doesn't mean being solemn and as dusty as an old attic.
Therefore, I advocate adding to the New Maintainer process that every
one read this little 160-page book (set in large, easy to read type),
written in 1868 by an expert in good manners.  He explains the general
principles and gives concrete examples, showing how to employ the
principles in the most unexpected of circumstances.  After reading it,
there would be a short quiz to ensure the candidate understood what it
said.
************* The Book **************
Martine's Hand-book of Etiquette and Guide to True Politeness

A complete manual for those who desire to understand the rules of good
breeding, the customs of good society, and to avoid incorrect and vulgar
habits.

Containing:

* Clear and Comprehensive Directions for Correct Manners, Dress, and
 Conversation;

* Instructions for Good behavior at Dinner Parties, and the Table,
  with Hints on the Art of Carving and Taking Wine at Table;

* Together with the Etiquette of the Ball and Assembly Room, Evening
 Parties;

* Deportment in the Street and when Travelling;

* And the Usages to be Observed when Visiting or Receiving Calls

To which is added the etiquette of courtship, marriage, domestic duties,
and fifty-six rules to be observed in general society.

Ted

--
It's not true unless it makes you laugh, but you don't understand it until it makes you weep.

Eukleia: Ted Walther
Address: 5690 Pioneer Ave, Burnaby, BC  V5H2X6 (Canada)
Contact: 604-430-4973