Re: Questions for all candidates: role models

On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 06:58:14PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Questions for all candidates:
>
> If elected, you will be the ninth Project Leader in Debian's history.  Of
> the preceding eight DPLs, which one do you admire most as a leader and why?

This one is a very hard one for me to tell, because when I became active
in Debian, Martin Michlmayr was DPL already for half a year. I've
however met five of the past and current DPL's in person (Ian Jackson to
current except Ben Collins), but well, that's not really a good view on
their leadership qualities.

Anyway, of the people I know a bit, I admire Bdale most. He's quite well
a communicator, and goes along with a lot of people well. To me, Bdale
is kind of the personification of having fun in Debian, of Debian's
solidness, and working all together on a great OS. I believe this is one
of the most important aspects of a DPL, and while my own charisma isn't
even close to Bdale's, I do want to send out the same message in ways
that suit me better. If you've never met Bdale, try to do so, he travels
the world, and is always prepared to sit on his talking chair and tell
really interesting stories about one of the many areas he's been
involved in.

> Candidate platforms always tend to focus on what's wrong with the project;
> this is somewhat natural, since if you don't believe anything's wrong,
> you're not likely to go to the trouble.  My question is:  what will you do
> to inspire your fellow developers to greatness in the year to come?

Most items I noted in my platform already, I'll do my utmost best
to keep/make everybody proud to be part of this project:
- by making sure the whole open source world knows Debian is alive and
  kicking, and still doing great things;
- by making sure that Debian people are much more aware of all the nice
  little projects and things happening inside Debian;
- and last but not least, by helping innovative things to actually
  happen by increasing productivity and via that creativity on our
  communication channels

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar