Re: Questions for all candidates: role models

On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 06:58:14PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
>Questions for all candidates:
>
>If elected, you will be the ninth Project Leader in Debian's history.  Of
>the preceding eight DPLs, which one do you admire most as a leader and why?

*grin* That's an awkward question, not least because I'm a friend of
several of our previous DPLs. We've had a succession of DPLs with a
wide variety of leadership styles; picking just one is difficult.

As a purely personal choice, I'd have to go for Bdale. He has a wealth
of experience which helps gain the respect of technical people in
Debian, plus a well-measured, authoritative style that in my
experience works well in discussions and debates.

>Candidate platforms always tend to focus on what's wrong with the project;
>this is somewhat natural, since if you don't believe anything's wrong,
>you're not likely to go to the trouble.  My question is:  what will you do
>to inspire your fellow developers to greatness in the year to come?

My main goal on that front is to be visible working on and for
Debian. My experience over the years is that the best way to make
positive things happen in Debian is to get involved and _make_
positive things happen. Good work inspires more good work.

"C++ ate my sanity" -- Jon Rabone